10 Tips for a healthy Smile
A beautiful smile adds to your own beauty and enhances your personality. It goes without saying that it is important to have healthy teeth to have a healthy, beautiful smile. There is nothing more off-putting like a smile that exposes a set of discolored or decayed teeth! Bad teeth or poor oral health often lead to low self-esteem because you feel too embarrassed to open your mouth.
There are many ways in which you can look after your oral health. Given here are 10 tips on how you can maintain good oral health to ensure you have healthy teeth and a healthy smile. Let’s start off with a bonus tip first. There are many ways in which you can look after your oral health. Depending on which country you live in you can get yourself insurance to help cover your dentistry bills.
1) Brush your teeth: Brush and clean your teeth regularly. This is golden rule number 1. There is no excuse for not cleaning your teeth. Ensure that you use the correct brushing techniques in order to clean your teeth effectively. Change your tooth-brush every two months or so even if the bristles are not worn out.
2) Floss your teeth: Floss your teeth after you brush regularly, do not use flossing and brushing as substitutes for each other. Both need to be done regularly. Flossing helps you clean the tough to reach spaces between two adjacent teeth.
3) Use a Mouth Wash: Follow up brushing and flossing by gargling with a mouthwash. Mouthwashes have effective antiseptic properties. These also help in killing bacteria that cause tooth decay. Do read the label on the mouthwash bottle to ensure you use it with the correct dilution. Mouthwashes that are too strong may cause a burning sensation if used undiluted.
4) Eat Healthy: Ensure that you follow a healthy diet and eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. Too many starchy and sugary foods in the diet do lead to tooth decay in the long run. Also ensure that you clean your teeth after every meal, at least rinse your mouth to get rid of any sugar or sticky foods that may remain in your mouth.
5) Do not eat in between meals: This is not just a dieting tip, but it also causes tooth decay; this is because there is maximum bacterial action at acidic Ph. The PH in the mouth is most acidic immediately after meals; it reduces slowly and reaches a normal level. When you eat in between meals, the acidic level in the mouth does not to come down thus leading to increasing bacterial action which in turn leads to caries.
6) Chew sugar-free gum: Eat chewing gum that is sugar-free. Sugar free gums clean up the plaque acid and thus leads to healthier teeth and a healthy smile.
7) Avoid Soda/Pop: Do not drink colas or aerated drinks or energy drinks. This is because cola drinks contain acids such as phosphoric acid, organic acid and citric acid which damage teeth and result in loss of tooth calcium of over a long period of time.
8) Say “NO” to Smoke: Do quit smoking or chewing tobacco. These habits stain the teeth and discolor them they also lead to bad breath.
9) Avoid tongue piercings: Do not use oral piercings to follow the trend and look hip. These are harmful to oral health. Tongue piercings may have consequences such as infections, allergic reactions or damage nerves in the tongue.
10) Visit your dentist regularly: Do visit your dentist regularly to ensure that you have perfect oral health, healthy teeth and a sparkling, healthy smile that keeps you looking beautiful all the time.