Dental Implants are the best option for replacement of missing teeth. With the advent of modern dentistry, dental science has achieved the closest possible alternative to natural teeth.
What Are Dental Implants and why do we need them?
A dental implant is an artificial tooth replacement solution for people with missing teeth. It’s broadly composed of two parts, the implant which embeds in to the jaw bone (made of titanium)and the tooth crown which is the visible aspect of the implant.
Tooth loss is a common dental malady effecting people. Studies indicate that almost 70% of adults in the age group 35-44 have lost a permanent tooth due to gum disease, accident, tooth decay or failed RCT.
Until recently, a removable partial denture (RPD) or a fixed partial denture (FPD) was used to replace lost teeth. Both have their share of disadvantages. A dental implant is a superior alternative to them as it is aesthetically and functionally more viable.
Disadvantages of RPD and FPD
Disadvantages of RPD
–It is not esthetic
-It causes bone loss
-Slipping during speech/mastication
-Clicking sounds while eating
-Bone loss in area of missing teeth
-Difficult to maintain
Disadvantages of FPD
-Requires trimming of adjacent healthy teeth
-Can’t be used on the posterior most missing teeth
-Requires healthy abutment teeth (Adjacent supporting teeth on either side of the missing teeth)
-The abutment teeth is prone to tooth decay
-Loss of abutment teeth renders the FPD obsolete
Why should you go for Dental Implants?
Dental Implants are the most preferred replacement option for missing teeth.There are many advantages of using dental implants-
- Better esthetics: Dental implants closely resemble the natural teeth.
- Improved Functionality: It is much easier to eat and talk with a dental implant
- More comfortable: Implants do not slip out or jag you in the oral cavity
- Improved oral health: Dental implants do not require any extra maintenance. No other teeth require alteration to support the implant. You can care for your implants like you would care for your natural teeth
- Durability: Dental implants are quite durable and last a long time with proper maintenance
What is the success rate of Dental Implants?
The success rate of a dental implant is 90-95%. The success rates of a dental implant varies greatly depending upon the quality of dentist performing the procedure, quality of implant material, condition of the patient. It is essential to engage an experienced dentist who has a vast experience in implant procedures.
Can Anyone Get Dental Implants?
You will be screened by the dentist to check whether you would be a candidate for a dental implant. An ideal candidate for a dental implant would be-
-Having adequate amount of bone to support the implant
-Not of advanced age
Is the Cost of Dental Implants covered by dental insurance?
Dental implants are usually not covered by insurance providers as they are a luxury rather than a necessity. They may be covered partially by some insurance companies. You would need to clarify this with your dental insurance provider and the dentist.
How much do Dental Implants Cost?
-Dental implants can cost quite a bit. The actual cost depends on a lot of factors.
- The dental implants cost $1,250-$3,000 each for routine implant procedures in the U.S. However, the total expenditure of the Implant procedure can come up to $15,000-$30,000 for complex cases. The cost of dental implants depends on the following factors:
- Country: The cost of dental implants in the west is quite high compared to medical tourism hubs. Countries such as India, Philippines are viable for cost-effective dental treatment. Many people choose to combine a vacation and dental treatment to these places which is a concept known as dental tourism.
- Number of Implants: Obviously, the cost of dental implants will be higher when it involves more number of teeth.
- Bone Augmentation procedures: Bone augmentation procedures are required when the surrounding bone is not adequate enough to support the dental implant. This is a separate procedure which will cost you as well.
- Material of the implant: As is the case with most commercial products, the high quality and branded dental implants cost more.
- Expertise of the dentist: A well trained and experienced dentist in the field of implantology will charge a higher fees than a less experienced/qualified dentist.
How to reduce cost of dental implants
Here are some tips to get cheap dental implants.
– Opt for dental tourism to places such as India. You can get the dental implants at a cheaper price at a similar standard of treatment.
– Although, most insurance companies do not cover dental implants, many dentists tend to offer financing to their patients.
– Go to your local dental school and ask if there are currently any programs for dental implants going on. Dental students who are training tend to charge less for dental procedures.
– Do not fall for ads claiming to give you free dental implants. Although, they do not charge you for the implant, they put in additional cost for various other things and you end up paying the same.